Bytes: The Kali Linux NetHunter project is the first Open Source Android penetration testing platform for Nexus devices, created as a joint effort between the Kali community member “BinkyBear” and Offensive Security. NetHunter supports Wireless 802.11 frame injection, one-click MANA Evil Access Point setups, HID keyboard (Teensy like attacks), as well as BadUSB MITM attacks – and is built upon the sturdy shoulders of the Kali Linux distribution and toolsets.
- There are certain requirements that are to be met before installing NetHunter using this method.
- The device should be properly rooted. If rooted with KingRoot, replace KingUser with SuperSu
- BusyBox installed. Install it from PlaySore.
- Ample Storage
- Custom ROMs like CM12 CM12.1 CM13. (Desired, not mandatory)
Procedure to Install Kali NetHunter On Any Android Device
- Download any Nethunter ROM from Offensive Security Web Site according to your Android Version.
- Extract the Zip file and go to /data/app. Install the apps present in that folder one by one.
- Now with any root explorer app, go to /data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts. Then copy all the files and paste into /system/bin (Note: If you don’t see the folder or content in files/scripts, open NetHunter app and then close it and check again)
- Next, open the Nethunter App and Go to the Kali Chroot Manager and install the “Minimal Chroot”. You can also select “Full Chroot” but this is not recommended.
- Open Terminal Emulator or nh-terminal and choose “KALI”. This will open up Kali shell. You may be prompted to allow root permission. Just grant it and you will be good to go.
- After that, run these commands one by one in the terminal:
apt-get install kali-linux-nethunter
How To Setup Metasploit In Kali NetHunter
To enjoy the full functionalities of Kali NetHunter, setting up and enabling Metasploit is very essential. This step is necessary for using the features of Metasploit and other tools which make use of Metasploit Modules. Follow the below given steps.
Initialize the database: run this command msfdb init (Alternatively goto Kali Services Tab on Nethunter App and set it to “Start at boot”)
To run Metasploit : use this command msfconsole or open any tool which uses Metasploit like setoolkit.
This should install everything required to run Kali NetHunter in Any Android Device. You can access most of the Kali Linux tools from the terminal. However If you want to try the GUI tools, follow the below steps.
How to install and Enable VNC in Kali NetHunter.
VNC Viewer is required to work on GUI tools. For this, VNC server needs to be installed in the Kali NethHunter. This can be done by following the below given steps.
- Open Terminal and execute the following command in Kali Terminal
apt-get install tightvncserver
- To run VNC Server type the following command
vncserver :1 -geometry 1280×720 -depth 16
Explanation of switches: –
:1 (Display 1,2,3,4 etc..)*
-geometry (Resolution width x height)
-depth (16, 24, Color Depth, use 16)
- Now Install any VNC app from PlayStore and open it. I suggest using this App called VNC Viewer by RealVNC Limited We will use it to connect to Kali NetHunter GUI. Setup VNC app with the below details.
Alias: Kali Linux
Password: The password you set before
Address: 127.0.0.1 or your Private IP
Port: 5901 (Depends on display i.e., for display 2, Port will be 5902 and so on)
- Click connect and now you can enjoy the NetHunter Tools in GUI.